March 5, 2014
After looking through my pantry, I noticed I had a lot more peanut butter just hanging around, but I also noticed I had some Mini M&M’s still hanging out from one of my other weekends of baking! So I researched some recipes for peanut butter cookies with M&M’s. Because M&M’s have the hard chocolate candy coating baking with them is different than baking with regular chocolate chips, so remember that! I finally found the perfect combination recipe on pinterest. The picture took me to a website called “You cup of cake” (Wicked clever name!)
So here it is, my process of the cupcake with my pictures but also the link is listed at the bottom if you want to see how they really come out when you have a pipping bag!
Ingredients for Frosting
1/2 C. smooth peanut butter
1/2 C. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 C. powdered sugar
2-4 Tbsp. milk
Extra M&M’s to decorate
Ingredients for Cupcakes – (Semi-Homemade)
1 box white or yellow cake mix
1/3 C. oil
1 C. milk or buttermilk
1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1 C. mini M&M’s
Directions for Cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and vanilla extract.
4. Stir in cake mix until smooth.
5. Fold in M&M’s. Don’t overmix because the coloring from the candies will dye the cake
I made this mistake and even went softly if it happens it just looks like a tie-dye cake (No Big Deal!)
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
Directions for Frosting
1. Beat peanut butter and butter until smooth. Add vanilla extract and slowly add powdered sugar. The frosting will become chunky. With the mixer on low add milk 1 Tbsp at a time until the frosting becomes “fluffy” and smooth. Add more powdered sugar if needed or more milk.
2. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes an top with extra candies. – Or if you don’t have a pipping bag feel free to use a regular old fashion knife, like my pictures!